What are the benefits of WilmerHale DiscoverySolutions?
Clients obtaining representation for contested matters involving e-discovery and document review expect to receive the highest-quality legal representation in a predictable and cost-effective manner. Our e-discovery and document review process and methodology allow us to increase the efficiency and accuracy of document review while reducing associated time and costs, and continuing to produce high-quality legal work. Additional benefits include:
- a reduced number of irrelevant and duplicative documents to review;
- faster identification and utilization of key documents;
- more timely provision of key documents and facts to our partners;
- internal handling of document reviews ranging in size from gigabytes to terabytes at a competitive and predictable cost; and
- a strong platform from which to offer flexible and competitive pricing.
Which document review tool does the firm use in-house?
Several years ago, the nature of discovery changed significantly. As a result, WilmerHale invested in a new technology platform and implemented substantive changes to our approach to discovery in order to drive more efficient, cost-effective and valuable document review work. Licensing an advanced document review technology was a key foundation to those efforts. In 2010, the firm licensed Recommind's Axcelerate—an advanced tool that enables us to drive smarter document review for our attorneys and clients. Recommind is currently the only document review tool we have in-house.
What are the benefits of using Recommind's Axcelerate?
We have built a smarter discovery and document review process and methodology using Recommind's technical foundation. Our capabilities allow us to increase the efficiency and value of document review while reducing associated time and costs. Our clients demand and expect us to be cognizant of the cost and inefficiency of traditional linear review. As a result, we have to think of and execute better discovery. Additional benefits of the Axcelerate tool include:
- A reduction in the number or deprioritization of irrelevant documents in review. There is a temporal aspect to what we do—the less time we spend reviewing non-responsive documents, the greater value we bring to our clients. Additionally the better we can front-load responsive documents and push non-responsive documents to the back of the queue, the better our time is used.
- The ability to internally handle document review of large data volumes.
- The ability to identify key documents and facts for case teams more quickly—again, in this field, time is of the essence, so there are mechanisms we can deploy to find the most important documents more quickly.
What are some of the ways in which users can leverage Recommind's functionality?
To leverage the Axcelerate tool's functionality, users can:
- intelligently batch documents by term, concept, date, priority custodian, duplicate, near duplicate and thread;
- utilize reporting features to review and revise search term hits;
- utilize the "training" feature within the predictive coding pane to identify documents conceptually similar to important documents;
- employ random sampling techniques for greater insight into the corpus of data and for quality control purposes;
- review the auto-generated concept groups within the tool to prioritize data; and
- utilize the "analyze" feature to compare any two metadata fields.
How do WilmerHale's e-discovery capabilities truly impact the firm's ability to offer alternative fee engagements?
With the adoption of a firm-wide methodology and standardized process supported by next-generation technology comes a better ability to predict costs, manage work, and align fees and the value of legal services. This solution affords us a level of capability to reliably and accurately track and report on a wide range of performance metrics. This information serves as the basis for developing new and innovative alternative fee engagements for our clients that are founded on fact-based estimates.
Can WilmerHale DiscoverySolutions be used post-discovery? Can it be used for production, trial prep, deposition prep or to analyze the opposing party's data?
Yes, our technology can be used to create productions and to analyze the opposing party’s data. In addition, features of the technology can be leveraged to assist with trial and deposition preparation.
How is WilmerHale able to price this solution competitively as compared to outside vendors?
WilmerHale has a different business model than outside vendors who have to support their entire business and profitability through e-discovery offerings. We are looking to improve the value proposition of these services for our clients.
How is the service priced?
The cost of e-discovery falls into two categories: technology and document review. For technology, we have priced the service in a competitive and predictable way. As for the cost of review itself, clients can leverage the expertise of WilmerHale discovery attorneys, who are able to perform higher-quality document review work with greater efficiency from our Business Services Center. For clients who are seeking the greatest benefit, we can offer combined pricing, which provides a competitive and predictable price for document review by our discovery attorneys.
Does WilmerHale offer CLEs to clients related to e-discovery or document review?
WilmerHale frequently provides training on various topics for our clients, including training that qualifies for CLE. If a client is interested in having WilmerHale teach a program related to e-discovery or document review, contact WilmerHale DiscoverySolutions Director of Operations Nathan Reichardt at +1 937 395 2138 or firstname.lastname@example.org.